Your home is likely your largest investment, and when it comes time to sell it, it pays to be well informed about how to spot a savvy real estate agent who can help you come out on top. Just as you would do in any interview process, asking the right questions is key to helping you discover the best Realtor to hire for your needs.
Homeowners need a trusted guide and advocate who is quick to respond to potential offers, problems, and counteroffers as well as emails and phone calls. Agents are all different, so interview several to locate and confirm the best match for this important transaction.
When looking for a Realtor to sell your home, begin with the end in mind. You want someone who will help you sell in the shortest amount of time for the best price. Since history has a way of repeating itself, check out their recent sales: how long the homes were on the market, how close they sold to their asking price, and how easy the Realtor was to work with.
When you’ve narrowed your search to a few Realtors, call or email them and see how long it takes to hear back from them. If they don’t answer within 24 hours, keep looking. Their response time could be crucial to your home’s sale, particularly if there are multiple offers, so learn their response time before hiring them.
Here are some top questions to ask a real estate agent before hiring them:
- How long have you been in business?
- What is the ratio of your average list price to your actual selling price for your listings? 95% or above is a good ratio.
- What neighborhoods and price range make up your typical home sales?
- What do you plan to do to best market my home? A good agent should at least use:
- A good brokerage website to showcase your home
- National listing websites
- Professional photography
- Social Media
- What types of offline marketing do you utilize? For open houses, agents often use yard signs and Flyers. Flyers should be made and displayed nicely in your home’s foyer.
- May I have a list of the homes you sold in the last year and contact some of the owners?
- Ask how long the home was on the market before it sold.
- Find out if previous home sales were in your home’s general location and other vital features.
- Hire someone who specializes in selling homes like the one you are selling.
- Have you received any professional awards? Awards given by their peers are impressive. The National Association of Realtors (NAR) awards a “Realtor of the Year” annually.
- Tell me about your credentials.
- Certified Residential Specialist (CRS) -has extra training in residential real estate.
- Accredited Buyer’s Representative (ABR) -completed extra education in representing buyers.
- Find out if the Realtor is a member of the NAR.
- May I see your listings online? Since most buyers do their shopping first online, it’s vital to find an agent who will represent your home well and professionally online. Take a look at the potential agent’s current listings. You can check the real estate agency’s website and Realtor.com to locate the properties they are listing.
- Evaluate the homes your prospective Realtor is currently selling and see how close they are to yours in price and location.
- Evaluate if the potential agent has a thriving real estate business. Often, the best Realtors are the ones who are busiest.
- What percentage of your clients are buyers vs. sellers?
- Would I be primarily working with you directly, or your associates?
- Do you work part time or full time as a Realtor?
- How many buyers and sellers are you currently representing?
If you choose a Realtor who you are close to personally, be mindful that you will need to be able to disagree at times and be comfortable with that. You want to be positioned to work well together as a team, and that takes fluid communication and the right type of interaction between you. Ask yourself if you prefer an aggressive or easygoing Realtor, and choose one to match your preferences. You want someone who is happy to address your concerns, knows the market well, and has good ethics and integrity.
A Real Estate Company You Can Trust with Your Home Sale
The complicated process of selling a home can seem overwhelming to navigate alone. The residential Realtors at McGraw REALTORS® know you want to make smart decisions when it comes to your home sale—selling it fast and for the best price.
We understand the factors that go into a successful home sale. That’s why we’ve helped over 30,000 people in the greater Tulsa area sell their homes. Our team of experienced real estate professionals is ready to work closely with you and guide you through the home sale—keeping you informed throughout the process. Find one of our office locations near you and schedule a free consultation to see how a McGraw agent can help keep you in control of your home’s sale.